Suing a City or Municipality

Suing a city or municipality is no easy task. Las Vegas slip and fall lawyer Craig Murphy has decades of experience and a proven track record of success.

Read Our Slip and Fall Injury Guide

If you have had a slip and fall on public property, people want to know, can I sue the public entity, whether it’s the city, the county or the state, for my fall, my injuries, and my damages? The answer to that question is yes, you can sue the city, county or state for your injuries. The question, though, really is this: will the governmental entity be responsible and have to pay for my injuries or damages? That’s a different story.

It’s much like any other type of fall case. What you have to prove is that they were negligent and that negligence caused your fall and resulted in your injuries. There are various ways to prove fault. Depending on the type of fault case, the burden of establishing that evidence could be on you. Say, for example, you are at a public event at a government building, and it’s a slip and fall case because there was a liquid substance on the ground. You need to know what the substance was, where it came from, how it got there and how long it’s been there.

Even though you’ve fallen, and you’re injured, you’ve got to do something to protect yourself. Find out what it was, how long it was there, how it got there. Was there any type of warning – cones, signs, something like that – to warn you that you needed to be careful or avoid that area? These are very fact-specific cases, and because of that, you need an attorney that has been through this before, and knows what to look for, and how to build a case.

Review Craig Murphy on Avvo